a fun post for your friday afternoon reading pleasure:
i had a great breakfast with my co-workers the other day, and being that most of us are children of the 80s, conversation took a turn towards screams of laughter across the table, as we talked about all of the fashion trends we remembered as kids growing up in the 80s:
- layered slouch socks – some of us had small enough feet to wear 3 different colors at once. that takes real talent & bigger shoes…
- side ponytails – which some of us either cannot shake to this day or are on the brink of bringing it back! (you know who you are…) i had a classmate who was smaller than me – yes, shocking isn’t it, who wore her hair in a side ponytail almost everyday. she was held back a year… probably due to poor blood circulation in the brain.
- teased bangs – i remember my cousins who were in high school in the 80s totally rockin’ this style. me & my younger cousins totally wanted to be like them – super cool… you can imagine what our family parties were like back then when we were about 7-8 years old. glad this was just a trend…
- stirup pants – some people think that these are still fashionable. apparently, lululemon thought stirup pants could make a come back and made them part of the line plan back in fall 2009. failure. what were you thinking?!
- mcdonald’s playplace - although the coolest thing in school as kids, in the 21st-century, no child in their right mind would ever be caught dead or even think about having their birthday party at a mcdonald’s playplace.
- shirt rings - need i say more?
- slap bracelets - o m g, these were the s*$%! i don’t really understand what was so freakin’ awesome about these bracelets, besides the fact that they would wrap around your wrist on impact. i think back in grade school they were actually banned due to injury: kids were slapping themselves too hard with them… you can still find slap bracelets today, morphed into watches.
- jelly shoes - i love jelly shoes! i will admit i owned 2 pairs of these in high school AND they had a heel. super comfy. i think they’re still relatively trendy…
oh to be a child of the 80s!
what’s your favorite 80s fashion flashback?
have a great weekend, people